Sooo anyway, I decided to make a quiche this weekend, thinking, "wow, with all these eggs and veggies, this might be a really great healthy dish!"
But nooooo, all the recipes I looked up were like 300-500 calories per slice! Yeah, not working for me!
So, I decided to make my own version. Here's what I did:
- Used egg whites instead of whole eggs (keeping nearly all of the protein, and none of the fat)
- Used part-skim cheese instead of regular, and cut the amount back from 1 1/2 cups to just 1 cup
- Used normal milk (1% with a bit of half and half) instead of all half and half like some recipes call for)
- Completely dropped the crust (the crust accounts for 100 calories per slice)
- Stayed clear of fatty fillings like bacon, etc
The result? 100 calories per slice, of absolute amazingness!
I've started trying to substitute egg whites when I can, but frankly, a lot of times the consistency is way different, or I just really miss the taste of the yokes. Honestly, though I'm not going to claim "you can't tell a difference" (haha), I didn't notice at all, and I felt like I was getting a yummy decadent food. John likes it too....he always enjoys quiche--even if it is seen as a "girly food." And you can eat it any time of day!
Here's the full nutritional info of the specific quiche I made (chicken breast, broccoli, mushrooms, mozzerella) -- 100 calories, 3.6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 4 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 12 g protein. I say pretty good!! :)
This is going to become a staple at my house. Here's to finding healthy treasures!
I was requested to post the recipe of the quiche I made...so here it is. :)
Chicken, Broccoli, Mushroom Quiche
1 cup raw broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
4 oz. baked chicken breast (I used leftover rotisserie chicken for extra flavor)
1 cup (3.5 oz) low-fat mozzerella cheese
12 tablespoons Egg White Egg Beaters (liquid egg whites in little cartons)
1.5 cups 1% milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat over to 350
- steam or sautee broccoli and mushrooms, usually minimal oil, or just water, until just tender
- mix with chicken, spread mixture in glass pie dish
- spread cheese over veggie/chicken mixture
- mix egg whites, milk, salt, and nutmeg together, pour into pie dish
- bake for one hour uncovered
- remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes (this part is important, otherwise you'll wonder why it seems like there's still lots of liquid in it)
- Eat up!