Monday, September 6, 2010

Quiche!

I am now on the eternal quest for healthy versions of normal delicious dishes. But they have to be good. A lot of the stuff I've tried has only been so-so, despite claims that "you can't even tell a difference!!!" Yeah right. That's baloney.

Sooo anyway, I decided to make a quiche this weekend, thinking, "wow, with all these eggs and veggies, this might be a really great healthy dish!"

But nooooo, all the recipes I looked up were like 300-500 calories per slice! Yeah, not working for me!

So, I decided to make my own version.  Here's what I did:

  • Used egg whites instead of whole eggs (keeping nearly all of the protein, and none of the fat)
  • Used part-skim cheese instead of regular, and cut the amount back from 1 1/2 cups to just 1 cup
  • Used normal milk (1% with a bit of half and half) instead of all half and half like some recipes call for)
  • Completely dropped the crust (the crust accounts for 100 calories per slice)
  • Stayed clear of fatty fillings like bacon, etc

The result? 100 calories per slice, of absolute amazingness! 



I've started trying to substitute egg whites when I can, but frankly, a lot of times the consistency is way different, or I just really miss the taste of the yokes. Honestly, though I'm not going to claim "you can't tell a difference" (haha), I didn't notice at all, and I felt like I was getting a yummy decadent food. John likes it too....he always enjoys quiche--even if it is seen as a "girly food." And you can eat it any time of day!

Here's the full nutritional info of the specific quiche I made (chicken breast, broccoli, mushrooms, mozzerella) -- 100 calories, 3.6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 4 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 12 g protein. I say pretty good!! :)

This is going to become a staple at my house. Here's to finding healthy treasures!

*Update:

I was requested to post the recipe of the quiche I made...so here it is. :)

Chicken, Broccoli, Mushroom Quiche


Ingredients:
1 cup raw broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
4 oz. baked chicken breast (I used leftover rotisserie chicken for extra flavor)
1 cup (3.5 oz) low-fat mozzerella cheese
12 tablespoons Egg White Egg Beaters (liquid egg whites in little cartons)
1.5 cups 1% milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Directions: 
  1. Preheat over to 350  
  2. steam or sautee broccoli and mushrooms, usually minimal oil, or just water, until just tender
  3. mix with chicken, spread mixture in glass pie dish
  4. spread cheese over veggie/chicken mixture
  5. mix egg whites, milk, salt, and nutmeg together, pour into pie dish
  6. bake for one hour uncovered
  7. remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes (this part is important, otherwise you'll wonder why it seems like there's still lots of liquid in it)
  8. Eat up!
You can also substitute different vegetables or meat. Yesterday I made another one that had canadian bacon, tomatoes, and mushrooms...yummy! Let me know what variations you try out!



1 comment:

  1. Diana,

    You should post an entire recipe :)
    Sounds yummy - I'm planning to make it. My boys (all 3) love eggs and anything egg-related ;)

    Love,
    Ira

    ReplyDelete